rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Sunday, June 17, 2007

First day

We got started with a preview day on Friday, since Little Bear was so excited, he did not want to wait till Monday. The curriculum that Bear and I decided on is K12 so the materials were ready and waiting. We seemed to fall into a pattern of schoolwork, play, snack, potty then more schoolwork. So while the lessons stretched out for the whole day, in reality we were not working more that 30 minutes at a shot.

Indy was not too thrilled initially, because this meant that Little Bear was the focus of my attention and not her, so I checked in with my backup plans, and she seemed to be O.K. At first she was very content to just color and scribble on some "worksheets" like her big brother, but after a while she became bored, and so I offered her the Wedgits. Holy cow, she was enthralled for at least a whole lesson, and then once Little Bear took a break and wanted to play with them too, she was excited enough to have them back to herself she made it through at least one more on just that!

I did not use the preschool activity bags, since we did not need them yet, but I did pick up some foam letters, and some plastic spoons so I could make another couple of them.

It became apparent that Little Bear was familiar with many of the concepts covered in Friday's lessons, so since this program is Mastery based, I just started giving him the assessments to let him "test out" of the individual lessons. When he took their placement tests he did test at the second semester for the year, but I decided to start from the beginning, for fear that there were some basic concepts that he might be missing. It looks like I was not mistaken. While he did test out of 9/10 of the lessons in unit 1 of math, there was a lesson on patterns that he did need. So Bear and I discussed it and we will continue to do that moving forward. So long as he gets 100% on the assessments we will just move on to the next one.

Indy and Little Bear also really enjoyed all the books I was reading to then. Over the last 3 days we've read:
Cinderella in The Random House Book of Fairy Tales
The Irish Cinderlad
Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters
Yeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story from China
Floating Home which was Little Bear's favorite this week
Where Do I Live?
Don't Be So Nosy, Posy! which was Indy's favorite

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails