Today's topic on Girl Talk Thursday: "So, you’ve got $10. Dinner needs to get on the table. What’re you going to serve?"
There are SO many dishes that can be cooked for $10 it is hard to decide which one to share, so today we are going to take a look at a family favorite: Penne al la Vodka.
Around here we shop sales, and try to keep a stocked pantry and freezer so this meal often costs a LOT less than $10. But we can go to the grocery store and just grab the basics for $10 if the cupboards are bare.
1 TBS butter (we use unsalted, because that is what we keep in the house)
1 TBS oil (olive oil usually but vegetable has been used in a pinch)
1 onion, diced (medium to large or 2 small) [less than $1.00]
1 can of tomatoes 28oz. (sometimes diced, sometimes whole plum, sometimes crushed, always whatever is on sale. If whole drain and dice.)[$1.99]
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt to taste
1 to 2 oz vodka (one if kids are eating two if not)
1 cup of heavy cream [$2.99]
Parmesan cheese (freshly grated is best but whatever is handy is fine too)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Box of Penne Pasta [$1.99]
Total cost: $7.97
1. Melt the butter w/oil in sauce pan.
2. Add diced onion and cook until translucent but do not brown
3. Throw in the can of tomatoes and let cook until most of the liquid is gone (~20 minutes)
4. Cook Penne according to directions on box.
5. Add the red pepper flakes, vodka and cream, and bring back to a simmer.
6. Season to taste with the Salt, Pepper and Parmesan cheese.
7. Throw sauce in pot over cooked pasta and serve!
As stated earlier there is usually a bit of something else in the house, sometimes that needs to be used up, or just yummy and can be thrown on top: peas, cooked shrimp, grilled chicken, add a side of garlic bread or salad, all are house favorites!
Generally speaking even this mom does not mess it up, so likely no one else will either!